The Barracuda…is on Point.
Good watches are all about character. As in, the character of the watch is front and center. The embodiment of the brand is on full display and that “cult of personality” is unequivocal. It’s what makes a great watch brand stand out in the marketplace.
Ocean Crawler has that character in great abundance. In fact, Ocean Crawler goes beyond character…to charisma.
These are cool watches. Their personality jumps off the wrist, the page, the screen. They demand to be noticed. And once noticed, they never fail to impress.
Headquartered in Rochester, New York, Ocean Crawler is an American watchmaking company, with an aesthetic to match. Ocean Crawler watches are both sophisticated yet rugged, adventurous and sophisticated. They are clearly contemporary, but have designs that feel nostalgic, as well.
These watches are high-quality and high-end with an emphasis on reliability, durability and accuracy.
Did we mention durability? These stylish timepieces run the gauntlet before finding a lucky owner. As in, harsh environments that include ten shock tests, impacts equivalent to six thousand Gs, hundreds of times more powerful than a car crash.
Not only do Ocean Crawler watches survive, they thrive.
I was lucky enough to experience an Ocean Crawler Barracuda Point firsthand, or should we say, first wrist?
The first thing one notices is the weight. This is not a lightweight in the ring. That durability is reflected in the muscular nature of the watch. It sits on the wrist with presence, yet it’s also comfortable and one quickly becomes accustomed to the weight, and welcomes it.
A Seiko 4R36b movement, a rugged piece of work in and of itself, powers the watch. It’s been modified slightly for added accuracy and shock resistance. It has a power reserve of 44 hours.
The dial is clean, elegant and stylish. In stylish orange script, it reads Barracuda Point. Below that, the 1,000 feet rating, Champion Diver, and below the “6” it says GET OUT THERE.
Personality, right? Gotta have it in a great watch.
The bezel is coin-edged and the minutes hand and seconds hand feature orange borders. The crown features a custom design pattern that adds an even greater cool factor.
We have to talk about the sapphire crystal, though. It is THICK. As in, 4.5 mm. Which, in my mind, is absolutely beautiful. It’s like looking through gorgeous, turn-of-the-century windows, where you can see the craftsmanship in the glass. If you are lucky enough to become the owner of an Ocean Crawler Barracuda Point, you will probably, like me, spend hours contemplating light and reflections in the sapphire crystal.
My Barracuda Point features a handsome leather band with a black metal buckle.
Priced at just over $900, the Ocean Crawler Barracuda is an impeccably designed, handsome and rugged watch. It looks at home in the middle of an adventure on the high season, or on the wrist during a high-pressure corporate meeting.
If you’re looking for a great watch, don’t crawl…run…and get yourself an Ocean Crawler.
The impressive specs:
- True water resistance to 1000 feet or 300 meters.
- Powerful shock resistance to 6000 G.
- Automatic, precise diver watch – no batteries needed. Watch winds itself with the movement of your wrist.
- Thick domed sapphire crystal glass with 4.50mm thickness. An anti-reflective coating is applied to the domed glass to prevent any reflection under water.
- Includes 2 straps: a black NATO PVD strap and an extra brown leather band.
- Guaranteed to keep precise time for at least 5 years.
- Case Diameter (excluding crown): 44.2mm
- Case Thickness: 15mm, Lug-To-Lug: 51.8mm, Lug Width: 22mm
- Case Material: 316L Stainless Steel
- Bezel: Unidirectional Rotating Bezel with 120 Clicks and Swiss SuperLuminova Marker
- Movement Accuracy. +/- 5 seconds/day in 3 positions
- Water Resistance: 300 meters, 1000-feet or 30 ATM